Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Phoenix Risen

It's five am, and sleep has eluded me the entire night.  I've spent a portion of my night tossing and turning, and the rest on Pinterest, trying to amuse my frustrated mind.  Thankfully, random thoughts to the rescue, and here I am.

You see, I'm afraid I've been thinking (a dangerous pass time, I know).  As I stood in the bathroom this morning, I looked at my tired and worn down reflection, and I came to realize something that I hadn't given much thought to before.

Let us take a trip to yesteryear, circa 2008- September of that year, to be exact.  I had spent the entire year to that point meticulously planning out the details of my graduation party.  I had used every morning over cereal, every lunch break, and every tired evening to search for ideas and decorations and music.  I had sat at every graduation party over the summer, thinking, "mine will  be this good...mine will be better!"  I had spent hours cleaning out the garage and setting up the tents.  I had sweated and cried and panicked until there was no time left to do so.

And now, it was all gone.  It was all for nothing.  I had hated my party.  Why?

I was at a time in my life where I was lonely and insecure, and felt left out of everything.  I tiptoed in my sister's shadow and I feared that I would never be able to leave it behind.  I didn't like my body, my mind, or my situation.  As many teens are, I was plagued by a desperate need to prove myself to the youth of my age.  To that point I had been mostly left out or ignored, and didn't fit in anywhere.  I had a roof over my head, but in my heart, I felt homeless.  I had been so sure that my graduation party would be the way to impress everyone- my ticket to social acceptance.

And then, the unthinkable happened, and the majority of the young people in my age group left early to go to a yearly event in a neighboring town, completely omitting the dancing aspect of my party, as there was no one left to dance.  (Oh the cruel irony- I had a live band during dinner at my party, and they left to see live bands.  So glad I bothered inviting them- they clearly cared a lot about me.)  While other parties that year lasted until midnight (and some later), mine ended promptly at 10:06 pm.  That time is burned into my brain, because of how painful that night was for me.  I was heart-broken.

Flash forward two years, and I've now acquired a couple friends- one of which was my "unboyfriend", as I like to say.  He and I were in a relationship of sorts, but he refused to admit as much.  Reading that last sentence, one might immediately wonder why I didn't just dump his sorry butt.  The answer, put simply, is that I didn't know any better.  I had felt so unloved and so abandoned to that point by everyone in my life who wasn't blood related, that I thought- truly and deeply- that what he and I had was true and unbreakable love.  In my scared and lonely little brain, I rationalized to myself that he had a good reason to not want a public relationship with me.  And so, I stayed with him.

For two years the "not dating" status went on, until I finally decided I wanted something real.  I gave him an ultimatum, and he chose a public relationship.

Fast forward another year, and now I was broken.  There is no better way to describe it.  The reason we broke up shook me to my very core- made  me question everything about myself, including my need to even live.  I had been a fragile and unhappy mess before, but this was a whole new level of misery.  I did everything I could not to face it, but one day it hit me head on, and from that day forward I would be a changed woman.

For nearly two years after that, I went about life in a blur.  Looking back, I scarcely remember a thing about those couple of years.  Of what little I remember, I recall sitting on my bedroom floor, crying so hard that I couldn't breath- so hard that after a while of doing so, I couldn't cry anymore.  I had thought I had found my home- my place in society- and now here I was, feeling homeless again.  Worse than homeless- I felt outcast, unwanted, unworthy even.

What had once been a dislike of myself, and a constant need to change, had turned to a loathing of myself- a deep, dark hatred for everything I knew to define me as my own person.  I began self-harming again, and worse this time.  I barely ate, barely slept- barely did anything.  Depression had swallowed me whole, and I struggled to understand what was happening to me and how to stop it.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, I happened upon a new friend or two, and things started to look up.  I began leaving the house again, being social, and trying to improve myself.

Flash forward another few months, and tragedy has struck once again.  The man I was interested in turned my world upside with an unexpected move that would haunt me for years to come, and the person I had been growing close to was on her way to moving out of state.  And then my closest friend unexpectedly lashed out and walked away.  I was left to, once again, try to pick up the pieces of myself that were always falling apart.  I began to question myself, and whether I was even meant to have friends, or a life worth living.  I could feel myself slipping again, and digging my way back to the top would be a long, hard struggle.

I spent a couple years searching for myself- spiritually, emotionally mentally.  I knew that I had changed- that my ways of thinking were now certainly different- but I didn't realize until just recently, just how drastically time has changed me.

Today, as I stared at myself in the mirror- at the messy, greasy hair, the melted makeup, the pimple on my shoulder, and the mole on my chin- I suddenly realized that I didn't care about those things anymore.  I realized that even in my most unkempt state, I find myself beautiful.  I realized that I'm an extremely far cry from the person I was even just a year ago, and that I've grown far beyond what I ever could have imagined.

As I stared at my reflection, I could feel the tears welling in my eyes, as I realized how blessed I am to have found a way to be happy with who I am, instead of always seeking perfection, and instead of relying on other people and their approval to make me happy.  Eight years ago, I was lighter in body, but so much weightier in soul.

Today, I want to celebrate how much I love me for me.  I want to celebrate the realization that I am the only human whose approval I need in order to be happy.  I want to celebrate how happy I am to be myself.

I love every roll, flab, stretch mark, pimple, dimple, and mole.  I love every quirk, oddity, weirdness, and crazyness.  I love myself when I'm wearing makeup and I love how beautiful I am without it.

Today, I am beautiful, and not because I meet some magazine-perfect standard, or because I'm the most successful business woman.  It's not because I have a lot of friends, or get invited to all the parties, and not because I get attention or compliments from other people.  I am beautiful because I am me, and because I love me.  Eight years ago I had a beauty I didn't understand, and yet an ugliness in my soul from all the hate.  Today, I celebrate being rid of that hate, and leaving only the beauty that I once failed to see.

Today I am me, and that's the best perfect I can ever be.


No comments:

Post a Comment