Monday, May 23, 2016

Poetry and Sentiment

These past few days have been harrowing, to say the least.  We gained and then lost a kitten, I accidentally ruined both my favorite jacket and my favorite mug, and I hit rock bottom again, being forced to acknowledge that I'm just not mentally stable enough to maintain a job right now.

While all that was both unexpected and miserable, I can at least say that SOME good has come of my weekend.  I had been keeping more active tabs on my medication intake (I'm sure that the lack thereof was previously part of my problem) and I was feeling less stressed without the job to deal with, so I decided to set out for some yard sales Saturday morning.

Once again, I met a local artist, though of a different kind than the last.  This woman- whose name is Annette- makes greeting cards.  She seemed a kind and happy woman, despite the loss she's experienced.  We chatted for a bit about animals and crafting and such things.

This is the card I bought from her:

Simple, I know, but I thought it was worth it to support a local artist.  The funny thing is, I won't be giving it away as a card.  I'll probably frame it and display it.

I didn't think to ask her if she does anything online, but through some sleuthing I was able to find her contact information, and it doesn't seem that she has any sites up (I would imagine that if she did, they would be linked on her Facebook or Pinterest).  I would like to see how she fares with her business, so perhaps I will give her a call down the line and find out.

I also bought from her this beautiful book, dated 1904:
If you're not familiar with the Robert Browning, he was a poet and playwright of the 1800s, whose last work was written in the1880s.  I find it both sad and beautiful that this book is of the early 1900s.  It means that it was one of the early publications after Browning's death.  But then, it's also sad that it was after Browning's death.  In any case, it's a lovely piece, and I shall certainly be adding it to my vintage and antique book collection.

After visiting with this lovely woman, I trotted on down the street to another yard sale, and as I approached, my heart skipped a beat.  There, laid out on a table, was a beautiful set of china- it was just what I was seeking!  The woman wanted thirty for the whole lot, but I only had twenty-three left in cash, so I said, "well, I'll take whatever you'll give me for twenty-three," and into a box it was loaded.  Had I been smart, I'd've visited an atm and come back for the rest, but I was tired and not thinking as I should have been, so on my way I went.  In all honesty, I don't even know what I didn't get- they packed the box while I brought my van over to load it- so I don't have any real reason to miss what I lack.  I'm perfectly excited with what I bought.

I had bought some teacups from the first sale I went to, though to be honest I don't really care for them.  I had only decided to buy them because I thought that I wasn't likely to find anything else at a good price, so I should snatch those up.  Turns out I was wrong, and the first set- which wreak of the 80s- will be going in my yard sale.  The box pictured above is much more the vibe I was seeking, and I'll have no need for the ones that aren't exactly my taste.

I did a little research, and managed to find that the majority of what I have is from a set that's from the 1940s.  It wouldn't surprise me if the other pieces were also, but I'm having a harder time tracking those down.  At any rate, I am tickled pink to have such beautiful vintage pieces in my possession.

My excitement at this finding lays mainly in my plans to hold a true and actual tea party.  Yes, I'm just that odd.  I had made it my goal to find a teacup set at a yard sale over the summer for that very purpose.  Little did I know that I would find my set before the summer had even begun!  I can't explain to you my exuberance over this.

The week began horribly, and had a miserable middle, but at least I can satisfactorily proclaim that it ended on a most positive note.  Tea party planning, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment