Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Marriage of Art and Language

I couldn't stay away.  It's been a busy week, in the land of nerdery- May the fourth, Revenge of the Fifth, Civil War hitting theaters on the sixth- and I felt compelled to write about a new experience of mine in the nerd world.

Though I've always been a Marvel and DC fan, in truth, the majority of my knowledge was derived from a previous love interest, whose obsession with all things comics played a large part in drawing out my now intense nerd-love.  I'd read a couple books that were novels turned graphic novel, but- despite my superhero love- I'd never laid eyes on a Marvel or DC comic or graphic novel.  Recently, I declared a need to change that, and today seemed like the perfect day for it.

As many of you know, every year, on the first Saturday in May, comic book stores across the country participate in "Free Comic Book Day".  (I've been told by some that it happens in other countries as well, but never heard first-hand accounts.)  On this most sacred of nerd days, one can walk into a comic book store and walk out with a free comic book or two, depending on the shop's policies.  I had yet to participate in this madness, and decided that today was a good day to start.


As I'd never set foot in such a store before, I had no clue what to expect.  Frankly, I was a bit nervous, as my cluelessness made me feel vulnerable and silly.  But, I soldiered on, and into the first shop I went.

As I took my first step into my first comic book shop experience, the first thing my eyes rested on was a large wall of Pop figurines.  While I recognize the roll said collectables play in nerd culture, they aren't in fact my preference of collectibles, so I turned to the left.  The store was small, and crammed wall to wall with comics, graphic novels, and memorabilia.  What little space was empty was quickly being filled up with people, and I could feel myself getting antsy.  I made quick work of finding a salesman.

"Hello!  I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I am looking for!" I declared awkwardly.  The man was happy enough to ask me some questions to discern what I might be interested in.

Ultimately, these are the graphic novels I came home with:
Obviously, in the wake of the recently released Captain America: Civil War, the first book should certainly be a very interesting read.  The second I know had been made into a movie some years ago, but I never saw it.

After picking out these, I wandered over to the free comics section, where I picked out a couple that I actually intend to gift:
While I like both of these, I have a friend that I think would like them even more, so they will be gifts (assuming she didn't happen to pick out the same ones herself already ha).


And finally, onto the buy-one-get-one-free bin:
I cashed out, and happily skipped to my car (and yes, I actually skipped).  Onto store number two!

While the first store was in a plaza on a main drag five minutes from me, the second was right in the center of town, about twenty minutes in the opposite direction.  I parked, and walked the couple blocks to the small store.

As I entered the store, I felt a bit intimidated by the high number of people who were milling around in the small space.  They all undoubtedly knew what they were doing, and I was clueless.  I noticed quickly that they had some good deals, and immediately picked up some Spider-Gwen.
It's not the first or second issue, so I will have to find those, but for a dollar a pop, I couldn't resist.

Then I grabbed two of the free comics:
I'm truly very excited for the second one.

Lastly, I decided upon some of these:
I'm not entirely sure why- they were just calling to me.

The second store was filled with interesting people, and I chatted with a couple of them for a good hour or so, before cashing out and heading to the coffee shop.  All in all, I'd say I had a very successful day.  Time to run a couple errands, now, but I am excited to head home and settle into the couch with tea and one of my new reads.  It is time to become a comic nerd.



No comments:

Post a Comment