Wednesday, May 4, 2016

This IS the Opportunity You're Looking For

Among the multiple conundrums that faced me regarding this blog, an important aspect to consider was: how often will I post?  Initially, in my "new adventure" fervor, I had thought, "I'll write every day!"  After some meditation over tea, however, I realized how unrealistic that was.  Some days I come home from work with so little brain power remaining that I wake the following day wondering how I even got in bed.  (Childcare- while enjoyable- is exhausting.)  Other days, I'm so scatterbrained that I'm lucky if I even remember to eat. To assume that I could concoct an interesting read on the daily would be absurd.  These things considered, I concluded that I might write once a week, gathering thoughts throughout each day to form into one interesting post by the end of the week.  That being said, one might wonder, "Why is she writing again after only two days?"

The answer, put simply, is this: I am excited, and I have something interesting to write about.

First and foremost, it's May fourth:

Second, the unexpected has happened- in a good way- and I'm out of my mind enthralled at the prospects it presents. 

Some backstory: I have some health problems that prevent me from working enough to support myself, and that being so, I receive help from the government to keep afloat financially.  There was a bit of a mix-up, and as a result, I was not receiving the full amount monthly that I should have been- for almost a year.  This problem was recently solved, and the government was slated to pay me currently the amount that I had been withheld previously.

Enter my facial expression of extreme shock, as I stared in awe at my bank account last night.  My thoughts spun in a thousand directions, and once I managed to emerge from the state of shock, my elation was indescribable.  In short, I am now considerably more stable financially, and that is a very very good thing.

So, what am I to do with this new found glory of finances?  First and foremost, I will be getting new glasses.
Yes, folks, I'm worse off than Harry Potter. 

Second, I will be doing some needed repairs on my car.  The weather is just beginning to warm up, here in NY, and I am aching to have a working driver's side window this warm season.  Flying down back roads with music blasting and my hair flipping in the wind is a favorite pass time of mine, and to do so currently means much frustration at the end of the trip, as I exert great effort to put the window back up.

Then comes the much needed clothing, and maybe a splurge on a pair of unusual shoes I've been eyeing.  You guys, you can put stuff in the bottom.

And lastly, I am ecstatic to think of the possibilities when it comes to my DJing hobby.  Ever since the complete flop of a graduation party I had, I've been longing to host a party that I actually like.  I'm not a crowd person, or frankly a party person, but I do so enjoy decorating and DJing, and to host my own party- wherein I don't actually have to interact with people, since I'll be working the music- would mean getting to enjoy both of those things.  To have money means to have a choice of buying a blacklight, laser lights, or maybe ocean mimicking lights, creating multiple party theme possibilities.  Who knows what I'll decide on.

Reading the above spiel, one might conclude that I am a rather materialistic person.  This, of course, would be quite incorrect.  I think it's fair to generalize that we all have dreams and hopes that are monetarily out of our reach, and may always be.  For me, I just happen to have been given the opportunity to realize some of those dreams....and needs.

A part of me feels guilty: what have I ever done to really deserve this opportunity?   But in truth, we all deserve to get what we want.  And the above mentioned things are only what I will be working on today.  In full disclosure, I will actually be using a part of the money on friends and family, just as I did the last time I had extra money.  Finding a balance between our own needs and that of others is sometimes difficult, and I can only hope that I am truly successful at accomplishing this.  For now, I'm going to revel in the excitement of a new opportunity, and a hope that I can better the future for myself and for others.  This is the opportunity I've been looking for. 






No comments:

Post a Comment